H1: Five Steps to Take After Getting in a Car Crash
Car accidents are inevitable, even for the most cautious drivers. Every year there are over 6 million car accidents in the United States. Although many of those collisions don’t result in anything more than property damage, it’s still important to be ready and informed for when the inevitable occurs. This quick guide on what to do after being involved in a car accident will prepare you for the unexpected.
Here are 5 important steps to remember:
Step One: Move to Safety
- If your vehicle is in danger of being hit or ran off the road, pull over to the side of the highway or street.
- Once your vehicle is in a safe area: set the car to park, turn the engine off, and turn your hazard lights on.
If possible, set up cones and flares around your vehicle
Step Two: Call the Authorities:
- If someone is injured – Immediately call 911
Step Three: Gather Personal Information For Each Vehicle and Driver Involved
- Full name of driver, passengers, and any witnesses at the scene.
- Phone number or contacts of driver, passengers, or witnesses
- Car Information: Model, Make, Year
- Driver’s License # and License Plate #
- Insurance Company & Policy #
Step 4: Take Photos and Videos
- Before you forget any important details: Take video of yourself and the accident scene recalling what happened, the cross streets nearest to you, what direction you were going, etc.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident including broken glass, car parts, skid marks or other debris
- Take photos of any vehicle damage on ALL cars involved
Step 5: See a Chiropractor
- If you feel pain, contact your Louisville Chiropractor and set up an appointment!
- Seeing a car accident chiropractor after a collision can be beneficial in many ways, including:
Treatment of invisible injuries that are only apparent in an X-Ray or through physical touch. Reduce pain, promote healing, restore mobility, and prevent long term conditions.
Proper documentation of injuries: where they are, how serious they are, and how you’re progressing. This information can be crucial to maximizing your settlement.
The team at Isaacs & Isaacs has created a downloadable version of the checklist above that is perfect for storing in your glove compartment. Keep it handy, and never miss any of these important steps!